Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Why Mackenzie Loves Working in Dermatology


As the Marketing Manager for Atlanta Dermatology and Laser Surgery for over two years now, I thought I might share why I LOVE working in Dermatology. In order for me to explain this to you, I think I have to start with the basics. 

My name is Mackenzie Stratton, I grew up in Northern Virginia right outside of Washington, DC and decided to pack up my car and take a trip 9.5 hours south to THE Georgia Southern University (GO EAGLES!). While at GSU I majored in Public Relations.  Public Relations was a perfect choice for me because I got to spend most of my time writing and getting to be creative... and I got to avoid most things science related (Yuck! Who likes science, right? Only doctors...)

After college I landed an amazing opportunity to work as the Marketing Manager for Atlanta Dermatology and Laser Surgery. Quickly, I learned that Dermatologists do more than look at pimples all day and there was a lot more to the experts at this office than zapping zits away. I also learned that there is a lot more to doctors than just liking science. 

Dr. Cooper instantly amazed me with his knowledge of skin cancer and even more his ability to perform flawless skin cancer surgery, to remove skin cancer. It’s obvious that his patients are amazed too, as he has been providing patients in Atlanta with Dermatology care for over 40 years, something that few Doctors can proudly say. Beyond this, I have loved learning the importance behind what the dermatologists here do (and even a little bit about the Science behind it). They provide patients with valuable information on how to protect their skin from the dangers of Skin Cancer. Who would have thought wearing the always annoying, sunscreen, daily, can actually not only keep you protected from harmful rays, but also keep your skin protected from age spots & wrinkles (makes sunscreen not such a pain, don’t ya think?).

Growing up I was always teased for my Casper-like pale skin. But, what is my favorite part of working in Dermatology, you ask? It’s simple… at Atlanta Dermatology and Laser Surgery it’s COOL to be pale and trust me I’m about as Cool as it gets. I've learned that the tanning bed is BAD! Did you know that people who use the tanning bed, just ONE time, before they are 35-years-old, increase their risk for Melanoma by 75 percent? As a girl with Casper-like skin, I don’t like those chances.

Another big thing I've learned through working at a Dermatologist’s office is the importance of an annual skin exam. Until I worked here, I always thought of the Dermatologist as a place you don’t go to unless you have a rash that won’t disappear, struggle with acne or you have a scary mole that needs to be handled. I can probably think of maybe a couple times in my entire life that I had been to the dermatologist before I started working here (and now I go to the dermatologist… 5 days a week) and that was because my mom MADE me. What I've learned is that dermatologists recommend yearly skin checks. This is not to keep business popping in Dermatologist offices but it’s because the risk of skin cancer is rapidly increasing. In the past three decades the number of patients diagnosed with Skin Cancer was greater than every other type of Cancer, combined. I’m not telling you this to scare you (well I kind of am) but really I just want you to be aware of how important it is for you, your friends and your children to make nice with a dermatologist and get yourself checked, yearly. I promise, dermatologists don’t bite.

I am incredibly thankful for my experiences thus-far as the Marketing Manager for Atlanta Dermatology and Laser Surgery and even more thankful for the opportunity to work at a place where Pale is the NEW TAN!

For more information on Atlanta Dermatology & Laser Surgery or anything dermatology related, give us a call: (404) 296-8000 or visit our website.

Truth.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it. Acne

    ReplyDelete